I'd proclaimed my Singer 15-clone 'fixed'. It seemed to be working well after I'd removed the motor and added a reproduction hand crank. It's a Sears & Roebuck made in either 1957 or 1958, and badged with 'Commander'.
The Commander is being a bit fussy. I bought a reproduction needle screw to replace the one that was missing. It makes the needle turn to an angle. Not quite facing front, not quite facing to the side (as it should). I switched that out for a different needle screw, which helped. But now it's a bit sticky on one part of the cycle (for lack of a better word). Plus if I accidentally turn the hand crank the wrong direction (it likes to go clockwise, not counter-clockwise, as you face at the wheel) it makes an awful snarl of the thread.
Trying to free-motion quilt with this guy is making me nutty. Hand quilting will be too slow. I don't (yet) have a treadle table that'll work with my Davis VF for straight-line quilting, and adapting something would require woodwork. Time to try the walking foot on an electric machine with a short shank foot.
Man, this sucks. My first machine fixed is not really fixed! Obviously I need to learn some fine-tuning to get this baby really working well, not just making furtive stitches here and there. I've no patience at the moment and a bit of a headache. Going to bed!
No comments:
Post a Comment