Let's just say I got a bit carried away. Decided to pick up a few old sewing machines from the thrift shop to 'practice' on. Then if something did go terribly wrong, it wouldn't be a family heirloom. It'd be something I picked up for less than $10 that was covered in rust to start with. Whew.
My collection of sewing machines has jumped from 2 to a healthy 12. I want to tinker with them all. Electric or hand-crank or treadle, gear-driven or belt-driven, rotating shuttle or oscillating hook. Even found one that's got a chain inside. Hot diggity.
But actually, it's a little overwhelming and exciting. Went a little crazy. Too much stuff. Lovely, beautiful sewing machine stuff!
The Three Musketeers are similar sewing machines. All Singers, all from the 40s or 50s. Three are model 128s and one is a 99.
Meet Dusty:
This is the 'before' shot.
The good news is that I've fixed one completely: The Singer 99 is running like a champ. Affectionately called Dusty, which was a very apt name. I cleaned the motor, rewired the controller and power cord to the motor, and removed the deteriorated lamp cord/lamp. The tension was loose (er, the actual tension apparatus was loose) and that was fixed up as well. Have a motor belt now and it's stitching like a champ!
This one can be set free. Needs a base and perhaps a clip-on light, but I'll let the next person worry about that.

No comments:
Post a Comment